Sketches

Wednesday 28 October 2015

Milan cemetery

I am not sure to post this.
It's a drawing I made (on location) on the Milan Cimitero Monumentale, but I am not satisfied with this one at all.
The first version was too warm, colourfull and unbalanced, so I added black ink. But to no avail. I decided to wash out all colour and much of the ink. The result was a greyish scene, not much value. Like through fog; quite fitting for the subject, but the drawing became unreadable.
So I added ink again. And white paint for highlights.

But still: somehow it does not work.
Any ideas what I did wrong?
How I can improve this drawing?
Please let me know!

3 comments:

liz said...

Ik vind dat het best wel ´werkt´. Het is een mooi dramatisch onderwerp. De gele oker vind ik er goed in passen, het opgewekte rood neemt mij wat teveel dramatiek weg. Misschien zou je een keer kunnen proberen minder met streeparceringen te werken maar meer in gewassen inkt. Streeparceringen brengen een tekening meer in de buurt van striptekenen. Aan de andere kant is dat tot nu toe ook meer jouw stijl tot nu toe en wil je dat misschien niet kwijt. grtn Liz

Rene Fijten said...

Dat heb je goed gezien Liz. Ik ben toch meer de tekenaar dan de schilder (wat geen reden is om niet te willen schilderen).
Wat betreft het rood heb je wellicht gelijk, de afstand tussen de groep en het eerste paviljoen wordt erdoor erg versterkt. Het detoneert qua karakter ook wel.
Maar eens zien hoe ik dat verder oppak. Bedankt voor je commentaar, het wordt erg gewaardeerd!

Michael Lukyniuk said...

This sketch looks good to me. The cross hatching has a variety of styles, the tones are good, and the composition is balanced. I guess your satisfaction may depend on what you were attempting to convey. The cemetery has a Hallowe'en look to it, which is appropriate for this time of year. If you were trying to convey something different, then there may be a problem. Sometimes I end up with a sketch that I reworked and it doesn't please me, but my wife may feel it's my best ever! The reworking may lead you to do things that you normally don't do. That may be the basis for your dissatisfaction.