Sketches

Monday 25 August 2014

Tarbes foodmarket


It's difficult to draw people without them realizing you do it. I usually set myself up quietly, with my back against a wall in the shade or something like that. Then I wait a few minutes before I unpack my stuff. It gives time to observe and look around, and to blend in.
This is a local foodmarket in Tarbes (France), held every morning next to the exit of a multi-story parking.
I think these are private farmers, because they sell only small stuff: 10 tomatoes, a few flowers and a box filled with peaches, garlic or unions.
It was next to the hotel I used to go a few years ago with a huge building project. I've drawn here before.

4 comments:

Michael Lukyniuk said...

I admire artists like you who can sketch people in public spaces. I have difficulty in even sketching my wife at home! It seems that the challenges of sketching in public may be daunting - unhappy or insulted subjects, changes in postures, etc. My solution is to go to a weekly life drawing session where the model cooperates in keeping a pose, etc. But figure sketches are not the same as urban sketches. Your sketch is well done and exhibits the character of these local farmers. I also appreciate the way you've explained how you go about creating these sketches. Have you ever experienced angry subjects?

RobCarey said...

Wonderful job at that, Rene! I know it's not easy, and some people give you funny looks. You captured this beautifully.

Rene Fijten said...

Thanks Michael, my blending in is just for my own set of mind. So far I have never been treated unpleasantly when people were aware that I drew them, except once for a woman in India who looked angry. But I don't even know if that was because of me, because she didn't bother to turn away. At times I've had lovely conversations with onlookers.
Mostly they are just curious and at awe that we are able to do these things anyway.

Rene Fijten said...

Thanks Rob. I drew people on this market before, (was that really 4 years ago?) see http://www.renefijten.blogspot.nl/2010/01/foodmarket-in-tarbes.html