Sketches

Wednesday 27 March 2013

Carceri d'invenzione

Always loved Piranesi's work (1720-1778); I like his drawings even more than his etchings. Especially the "Carceri d'invenzione" series.
So I was thrilled to be able to visit the Piranesi exhibition in London (in the sir John Soane museum). As far as I am concerned, the highlight of the exhibition was a fantastic drawing of an architectural fantasy, consisting only of red chalk lines and brown ink. It inspired me to make this fantasy in the same style. My own carceri d'invenzione.

4 comments:

LuTi said...

I like your monotone drawing. Nice.


Escher was surely influenced by him .

Rene Fijten said...

Thanks Ludek!

Rodney van den Beemd said...

Bijzonder mooi, het licht trekt je als een magneet die trappen op om te zien wat zich daar afspeelt.

Rene Fijten said...

Dank je Rodney. Was een leuk experiment in compositie en perspectief.