Sketches

Tuesday 15 May 2012

Blue Mosque

 
Sketch of the Blue Mosque, (Sultan Ahmet Camii), as seen from our hotel room, nr. 308 of the Citadel Hotel in Istanbul. This is the last of the sketches that I made in our short trip; and I made this one specially for the Auckland Urban Sketchers exhibition. I had to bend awkwardly over the television set to draw this view, that's why the lines are a bit wobbly and not very straight.
It was the smallest hotel room I even slept in, but who cares, you're mostly outside on the Istanbul streets anyway. 
I case you haven't noticed: I am very occupied with work, home and garden at the moment; hardly any time to sketch or even keep up my blogs.

9 comments:

LuTi said...

the gardens also requires our attention ;)

( I know everything about it) !!

"a bit wobbly and not very straight"... but I like it !!!
Nice colors.

Rene Fijten said...

Thanks Ludek. It is the garden season, isn't it, you must know everything about it. How is Louise doing?

schilderijenfoto said...

doe je wel eens niets?

Balaji Venugopal said...

Nice sketch!
I was wondering about the leaning minarets (which were so unlike you) until I read your post.

Rene Fijten said...

Daar heb ik geen tijd voor, GeertJan.
@Balaji: did I mention the finished bottle of wine?

Shari Blaukopf said...

This is a beautiful one. Great composition as it narrows. And the wobbly makes it even better.

Rene Fijten said...

Thanks Shari. I always feel uneasy with these wobbly lines; I know it adds to the "reality" feeling, but the architect in me wants to see them straight.

liz said...

ik vind 'm ook juist erg mooi zo, wobbly en al, en mooie compositie tussen de bouwsels door gezien zo, verrassend

Rene Fijten said...

Soms heb je geluk bij het toewijzen van een kamer, die leverde dit doorkijkje op door een oplopende straat.